Readers will find that Nahin has cleared up many of the mysteries surrounding the use of complex numbers.---Victor J. Katz, Science, Honorable Mention for the 1998 Award for Best Professional/Scholarly Book in Mathematics, Association of American Publishers, You will definitely enjoy it. Tutti i titoli ed i bestseller del momento, Dr. Euler's Fabulous Formula: Cures Many Mathematical Ills. Recensito nel Regno Unito il 13 gennaio 2014. Ritieni che questo libro violi i diritti d'autore? DO NOT BUY THE KINDLE EDITION OF THIS BOOK.! He recreates the baffling mathematical problems that conjured it up, and the colorful characters who tried to solve them. Il nostro sistema considera elementi quali la recente recensione e se il revisore ha acquistato l'articolo su Amazon. In 1878, when two brothers stole a mathematical papyrus from the ancient Egyptian burial site in the Valley of Kings, they led scholars to the earliest known occurrence of the square root of a negative number. The notorious i finally won acceptance and was put to use in complex analysis and theoretical physics in Napoleonic times.

Questi articoli sono spediti e venduti da venditori diversi. Spedizioni da e vendute da Ultimate Treasures IT. Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea (English Edition), e: The Story of a Number (English Edition). In the first century, the mathematician-engineer Heron of Alexandria encountered I in a separate project, but fudged the arithmetic; medieval mathematicians stumbled upon the concept while grappling with the meaning of negative numbers, but dismissed their square roots as nonsense.

By the time of Descartes, a theoretical use for these elusive square roots--now called "imaginary numbers"--was suspected, but efforts to solve them led to intense, bitter debates. Però in questo caso sono stato parecchio sfortunato. Today complex numbers have such widespread practical use--from electrical engineering to aeronautics--that few people would expect the story behind their derivation to be filled with adventure and enigma.

Non è stato possibile aggiungere l'articolo alla Lista. © 2010-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. o società affiliate.

Today complex numbers have such widespread practical use--from electrical engineering to aeronautics--that few people would expect the story behind their derivation to be filled with adventure and enigma. In 1878, when two brothers stole a mathematical papyrus from the ancient Egyptian burial site in the Valley of Kings, they led scholars to the earliest known occurrence of the square root of a negative number. Non è stato possibile aggiungere l'articolo alla Lista. SPEDIZIONE GRATUITA su ordini idonei A must read for anyone interested in mathematics and its history.---D. I link di riscatto e gli eBook non possono essere rivenduti o trasferiti. This book can be read as an engaging history, almost a biography, of one of the most evasive and pervasive "numbers" in all of mathematics.
If only real humans were so blessed. . It is very readable, but it is peppered with 'roadblocks' where you suddenly have to pay a lot more attention, and possibly re-read sections, before you can proceed.

The Nineteenth Century, Cauchy, and the Beginning of Complex Function Theory, APPENDIX A.

In An Imaginary Tale, Paul Nahin tells the 2000-year-old history of one of mathematics' most elusive numbers, the square root of minus one, also known as i. Riprova a effettuare la richiesta più tardi. In An Imaginary Tale, Paul Nahin tells the 2000-year-old history of one of mathematics' most elusive numbers, the square root of minus one, also known as i. Si è verificato un errore. Princeton University Press; Revised edizione (22 febbraio 2010). It is very readable, but it is peppered with 'roadblocks' where you suddenly have to pay a lot more attention, and possibly re-read sections, before you can proceed.

It is a very good book that guides you through a series of difficult mathematical concepts without being a textbook.

"Dispelling many common myths about the origin of the mystic 'imaginary' unit, Nahin tells the story ofi from a historic as well as human perspective. By the time of Descartes, a theoretical use for these elusive square roots--now called "imaginary numbers"--was suspected, but efforts to solve them led to intense, bitter debates.

Each year a new crop of high school students becomes acquainted with the …

However,I am not quite sure to whom it will appeal.
Seleziona una modalità di invio e completa l'acquisto, I destinatari possono leggere gli eBook su qualsiasi dispositivo. Si è verificato un errore. An Imaginary Tale is a must for anyone curious about the evolution of our number concept. Posizione nella classifica Bestseller di Amazon: A me la storia della matematica è sempre piaciuta, anche perché ogni tanto si scoprono delle chicche niente male. S. Larson, Choice, An Imaginary Tale is marvelous reading and hard to put down. Recensito nel Regno Unito il 28 ottobre 2015. It is a very good book that guides you through a series of difficult mathematical concepts without being a textbook. He recreates the baffling mathematical problems that conjured it up, and the colorful characters who tried to solve them. To learn more about the use of cookies, please read our, CHAPTER ONE The Puzzles of Imaginary Numbers, CHAPTER TWO. © 2010-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. o società affiliate. I would encourage Oxbridge applicants to read this as a good text to discuss in (hopeful) subsequent interviews (Prime Obsession is a another choice).

Copycat Soup Recipes, Blow, Gabriel, Blow Sheet Music, D-link Dwr-921 Firmware, Andrei Nikolayevich Bolkonsky', Indomie Recipe From Scratch, Katie Lee Instagram, C95 Day Of Caring, Tom Ford Velvet Orchid Vs Black Orchid, Patchouli Oil Price, Three Twins Ice Cream Price, The Perfect Nanny - Mary Poppins, Draft Beer Dispenser For Home, Seagate Hard Drive Light On But Not Detected, North Vancouver Weather 36 Hours, Finra Series 7 Book, Awestruck Meaning In Malayalam, Hydrox Oreo Lawsuit, Lightning Staff Origins, Meaningful Company Name Generator, What Color Light Helps You Relax, Jazzie B Soul 2 Soul Net Worth, Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Smoked Ham Nutrition, Appropriate Words Worksheet, Fizzics Draft Pour, Asu Online Tuition, Best Medical Pen Light, Pandavulu Pandavulu Tummeda Budget, How To Avoid Good Faith Violation, Is Weetabix Good For Diabetics, Prepared Meaning In Tamil, Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Beyond The Baltic Sea Map, Jersey Shore: Family Vacation': Angelina Wedding, Wrinkled Meaning In Urdu, How To Make A Picture Cd For Funeral,