The pairs then play a second round where they take it in turns to read out all four pieces of advice for each modern-day situation. Interactive Version - This free giving advice interactive lesson contains a variety of exercises to help students practice asking for and giving advice on common topics. Give each student a copy of the two-page worksheet. Supporting Sentences In A Paragraph: Definition, Examples, and Sample Questions, Writing Tips: How to Write an Argumentative Essay Step by Step, perhaps you should try to talk to your son-in-law yourself, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window). Well, (1) you _________ always _________ (accept) both jobs now. Giving Advice with “Had Better” and “Would Rather” Look at the usage instructions in Part 1 below. Working alone, the students write a reply, giving advice for the problem on their card. If they guess incorrectly, the pair reads a second piece of advice for three points and so on. The phrase “would rather” is usually used to talk about preferences. Teams then have five minutes to write down as many pieces of advice as they can for the situation using the structure, e.g. Part 1: Giving advice – usage. Give each groups of three or four a copy of the game board, a dice and counters. In this free 'should' for advice activity, students play a game where they practice giving advice with the modal verb 'should'. Students read three emails asking for advice and write replies, giving the best advice they can. Jack has emailed his friend Adam for some advice. The group then chooses the best advice and writes a final response on the blank card. If a player cannot put down one of their dominoes, they take one from the top of the pile and put it down if they can. Your email address will not be published. As a follow-up exercise or homework: Ask students to write about a problem they have had. The other student then uses the language on the board to give advice to their partner, e.g. Afterwards, the groups report back to the class on the advice they came up with. The other students listen and then each give some advice in turn. When the students have finished writing, divide them into groups of four or five. [ More lessons & exercises from bridg ] Click here to see the current stats of this English test The students then practice giving advice for the health problems shown on the cards. Use the verbs in brackets, and the instructions to complete the conversation. The situations cover things like using a mobile phone, using social networks, etc. The first student to guess the problem wins and keeps the card. The pairs then shuffle their picture cards and place them face down in a pile. For this activity, I put my students... Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ? a) That’s a good idea. If the pair guesses correctly, they score four points. After practicing the four structures for giving advice and discussing the concept of etiquette, divide the students into pairs. Choose the correct informal way to finish the sentences in the email. Interactive Version - In this travel advice breakout room activity, students do an exercise where they write travel advice for somewhere they know well and then use the advice in a guessing game. Divide the students into two groups, Problem People and Advice Givers. Here we use: I DON’T think you should + verb. -I was refused permission to ( use my car / ...). The problem person then moves on to ask advice from another advice giver. The student with the most pairs of cards at the end of the game wins. You can also use other subjects like: I think HE should… I think WE should… I think THEY should… How about when we want to give advice about what NOT to do. Finally, students read each problem. The other players then take it in turns to match their dominoes in the same way by putting them down at either end of the domino chain and making a suitable conditional sentence for giving advice. The problem person explains their problem and the advice giver gives a piece of advice using one of the three phrases, e.g. © Copyright 2018-2020. the explanation giving advice and suggestions, Announcement Text: Definition, Types, & Examples, Modality Definition and Examples in English, Imperative Sentence Exercises with Answers, Non Defining Relative Clauses Exercises with Answers, Adjectives and Adverbs Exercises with Answers, Zero, First, and Second Conditionals Exercises with Answers, 1. The next player then rolls the dice and so on. She should to talk to him and find out why he is always rude to you. We use cookies to enhance your experience. This time, we will be providing the giving advice and suggestions exercises along with answers. When the five-minute time limit has been reached, the teams swap papers for marking. Procedure. Simple Speaking Activity for Giving Advice / Making Suggestions (ESL) ESL Level: lower-intermediate & intermediate. If the cards don't match, the student turns them back over, keeping them in the same place. By continuing to use this website you are giving your consent for us to, B1 Business Preliminary (BEC Preliminary), International language standards explained, Qualifications for schools and ministries, Your new English classroom. When everyone has finished, groups take it in turns to read out the advice on one of their job cards, without saying what the job is. Copyright © 2019 Writer River. Preview might be broken friends but when you download and open it, you will notice that everything is okay.so do not hesitate to downloa... speaking practice using modal verbs - should/shouldn't/ought to/must/mustn't/could etc. After that, the students role-play the mini-dialogues with a partner. Students take it in turns to pick up a card and read out the problem on the card to the group. Then, the students swap roles and repeat the activity. Next, students write mini-dialogues, asking for and giving advice on their ten topics. So, without further ado, here it is! Each student takes four problem cards and two advice cards. Giving advice to a friend | Learning English | Cambridge English This continues until all the cards have been read out. Choose the correct linking word to complete the sentence about what a person did last Saturday. 'I've got...' When the students have completed the worksheet with problems, each pair joins with another pair and exchanges worksheets. When the two minutes are up, students pair up with a new partner and repeat the process until they have spoken to eight people. -It is compulsory.You are to .. (be there at 4 / ...), -No) you needn't / you don't need to ... (go out / ...), -You aren't obliged to ...(wait for them /...), -Do you have to ( wash our hands / wait/...), -Am I / Are we required to ( take an exam / ...). document.write(year); Part 1: Giving advice – usage. When the students have finished, collect in the cards. Parking is strictly forbidden / prohibited here. Here is a free giving advice lesson to help students learn how to ask for and give advice on everyday topics. Congrats, you're now a member here, too. In this giving advice worksheet activity, students play a game where they give advice for modern-day situations. For example, if the square read 'I'm always late for class', the player might say 'You should leave home earlier. I cut up the slips on the dotted lines and give one situation to each student. Students then write a li st of ten things that they would ask advice Match the suggestions / advice in number 1 – 8 to the responses point a – i. Students then use the cards to play a game where they match the problems and advice together. This time, we will be providing the giving advice and suggestions exercises along with answers. The players take it in turns to roll the dice and move their counter along the board. -(Excuse me) can/ could you tell me (the way to the station/...), -Do you know (if they are here / when they leave /...). The other students listen to the advice and judge the player's response. Play further rounds using a different situation and structure for giving advice each time. Notice that the verb “start” is in the simple present tense. She may get angry, but hopefully she will listen to you and understand your situation. Students start by finding and correcting mistakes in pieces of advice. Please share your opinion about this article in the comment section below. -I'm sorry I didn't catch what you said.-What do you mean? Give students a language structure for giving advice, e.g. -Could you give me some information about ... -Have you got an idea of (when they leave / ...). Class Time: 25 minutes. In this giving advice activity, students give careers advice for different jobs. I used this activity for my class of 14 students, students sit with two desks together. Students take it in turns to pick up a card, read out the situation on the card and ask for advice. Then try the free exercises in Part 2. Introduction. OK. (6) ___________ (start) with the local job, and then do the everseas one, (7) _________________ ? Target skill: Giving advice. The student then starts giving advice for the problem on the card. It’s a difficult situation, but if I were you. Each card contains a short letter to Abby asking for advice about a particular problem. perhaps you should to try to talk to your son-in-law yourself >, You should being happy that your daughter >. The last but not least, why you don’t stop worrying too much. The next student then picks up a card and so on. So, without further ado, here it is! This continues until the problem person has received five pieces of advice. The group with the most points at the end of the game wins. Afterwards, pairs of students model their dialogues to the rest of the class. We use cookies. © Next, divide the students into four groups and give each group a set of replies to one problem and a corresponding blank card to write a final reply. “Would rather” is used here to state a preference. Instructions: Complete the following sentences using “had better” or “would rather.”. Are the following sentences suggestions (s) or advice (a)? You shouldn't forget what time you need to leave'. In the end, they write the best piece of advice they got on the line. This is a follow-on activity from my previous upload (which some of my students found difficult). Go through the language for asking and giving advice with the class. Here is a giving advice class activity to help teach students how to ask for and give advice. I think the first thing you do is to arrange a meeting with your daughter. a low GPA, a broken heart, etc. Giving advice using the phrases “had better” and “would rather” is a very specific and important aspect of advanced English grammar. One student begins by putting down a card showing the first half of a problem. The top domino from the pile is then placed face up on the table. The problem people think of a minor problem they have and are willing to talk about, e.g. The students begin by completing sentences stating problems, e.g. The students think of a country, city or place they know well. In this giving advice teaching activity, students play a game where they guess problems from the advice given. Copyright © 2020 TeachThis Limited. Summary: Students give advice to a classmate.The classmate then tries to guess what problem s/he has. Giving Advice and Suggestions Exercises. In pairs, the students have two minutes to ask their partner for advice about the problem on their card and write down the advice they receive. The pairs then cut the worksheet into problem cards (2 parts) and advice cards. In this fun giving advice teaching activity, students play a game where they have five minutes to write down as many pieces of advice as they can for a given situation. Doctor's Advice What Should they do? Teams score one point for each appropriate piece of advice. Afterwards, the groups take it in turns to read their problem and advice to the class.

Salt Dough Handprint Bowl, Write A Short Poem On Earthquake With Picture, Spinach Tofu With Shimeji Mushroom, Verily Allah Is With The Patient Arabic, New Balance 990v2 Aimé Leon Dore, Uk Construction Industry, Black Box Pinot Noir Walmart, Discover It Cash Back Balance Transfer, Saratoga Lake Walleye, Eastern Screech Owl Predators, University Of Essex Exam Timetable, Bowdoin Housing Lottery, G63 Lease Special, Knee To Elbow Oblique Crunch, Clorox Clarifier Instructions, Theme Of Partition In Shadow Lines, Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area, Blue Jay Feeder Squirrel Proof, Gerard Bertrand Cote Des Roses Price, Lower Otay Lake Map, Black Bear Lodge Treatment Center, Wall Mounted Cabinets For Laundry Room Home Depot, Johnson Files Bachelor, Functions Of Curriculum Evaluation, Yamaha Trumpet Ytr-2335, Alia Bhatt Bridal Look, Jza80 Supra For Sale, Cinco Pesos 1947 30 Gramos Value, How To Legally Change Property Lines In California, Aphs Student Portal, How To Do Sales Business, Drivel Used In A Sentence, St Lucia Poverty, Honda Crv 2017 Accessories Uk, Are Chipmunks Protected In Ohio,