Thank you very much for your answer, it was useful. I hope this helps. Hi! As my mother told me – always say a Hail Mary before removing the pudding from the bowl to ensure it doesn’t stick!

Mix well together. I doubt I can get more than one of the smaller bowls in the crock pot, so would take several days to steam them all….

Thanks for the pudding recipe and this steaming process! She taught me the recipe when she was 99 years old & supervised my second effort with her recipe when she was 100years old. When my mother cooked her puddings each year, they simmered for hours on the stove top, but I have found a fantastic, American solution for a pudding’s long cooking process. So much better than on the hob and worrying about keeping water levels up. I love my crockpot, anyway, but additional uses makes me love it more… I’d like to make several smaller puddings for Christmas gifts and have a few questions: If I want to make 4-6 smaller puddings, I’ll probably have to make two recipes, won’t I? Brush the inside of two glass pudding bowls, that can withstand boiling temperatures, with melted butter. All the best, This post may contain affiliate sales links. Add the brown sugar and bread crumbs and mix well. All the best, If the answer is yes, how long should I cook it? Cover the bowls with a large piece of parchment paper, with a fold creased into the center. Use another layer of foil if needed to make sure it is airtight and to be sure steam won’t escape during the cooking process. They can keep for up to 3 months outside the fridge because of their alcohol content. Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Best wishes,

Thank you for your clear and easy to follow instructions! I have always made Christmas pudding according to my grandmother’s recipe, but haven’t done so since I returned to the UK, and was a bit hesitant about how to cover and boil the pudding. Open the lid after about 30 minutes. I really appreciate when readers share my blog posts on social media. Your recipe sounds absolutely stunning. Cut a square of parchment paper around the bowl, allowing an extra 6 inches outside the rim of the bowl.
If you’re worried just turn it off. I’m so glad my photo instructions were helpful.

Best wishes, Place the bowl over the thread approximately 3 feet from the end. It truly is a wonderful cooking appliance, perfect for steaming a traditional Irish Christmas pudding. Lastly I am now looking at the ‘re-heating’. Jacque – Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment. Glad to see you carry on as well! Mairead. I hope your Christmas puddings are a great success. Hi Debbie – I’m delighted your first Christmas pudding was a great success. It’s always wonderful to hear from readers and to learn from their cooking experience. Reheat on the high setting for 1 to 2 hours in the crockpot. My recipe for Irish American Mom’s Christmas Pudding is available on yesterday’s post and by clicking here. Turn the plate and pudding over and let them stand for a few minutes. I steamed my first pudding in December and it drove me mad thinking about it boiling away on the stove for so long….using the crockpot sounds so handy, I must try it. Hi Everyone: Hi Ana – Christmas isn’t Christmas without a plum pudding in our house. Check the pudding from time to time, ideally there should be the odd wisp of steam coming from the water in the slow cooker and you may need to top up the water in the slow cooker about half way through the cooking time. The weeks of storage serve to mature the flavors of the stout and spirits in the pudding, but the difference would probably only be apparent to a Christmas pudding expert. Hopefully we will get to meet someday soon at some Irish event here in Kentucky. And can I (for the sake of getting them all done) put them in a low oven in a water bath, all wrapped up as directed? Mairéad, Hi – I’m making a Christmas pud for the first time in my life and found a recipe that is much lighter than the usual plum pud (James Martin’s Gran’s recipe) as I’m not that keen on the traditional one. Christmas Pudding is an essential part of my family’s Christmas feast. Emily – Your puddings will be fine if they are cooked and eaten straight away. I devised this recipe before I came to Kentucky, when I had a lot of trouble getting currants in other parts of the US. Great idea Mairead! I just made a Christmas Pudding – Gluten Free and did a blog post with a link back to your site…you can see it here. Cheers Best wishes, If planning to do so, the pudding needs to be reheated. Now I just make it without them. Mairéad, Hello Mairead! I am planning to make your wonderful recipe for steamed pudding this year.

Purchasing Ready-Made Christmas Puddings In America: Henry’s Ark Animal Farm – A Little-Known Kentucky Treasure ». Cover and let stand for 1 hour before mixing the pudding. Next we have to prepare the bowl for steaming. Grease two glass bowls by brushing them with melted butter inside. I fell in love with my crockpot many years ago, when I first came to America. Here is the printable version of the complete recipe. Mix your dry and wet ingredients together; then fold in the dried fruits. More traditional are toppings that are spooned over the sliced cake.

Check the crockpot about half way through cooking, to make sure all of the water has not evaporated. My mother has cooked puddings in the oven before.

Serve in slices with egg custard or whipped cream, or brandy butter. So this year I am planning to re-heat the original pudding in the microwave, taking my guideline times from commercially produced puddings which always include microwave cooking instructions. Place approximately two-thirds of the pudding mixture in the larger bowl, and the remainder in the smaller glass steaming bowl.

Many thanks x, Just turn it down to low for an hour and they should be fine. Every year my husband looks forward to our pudding on Christmas Day. Just make sure they are a few inches apart and not touching. Mairéad. It took a little while for me to persuade the supposed dried fruit-haters of the family to try my homemade ones but one bowlful and the most staunch Christmas pudding opponents have been convinced of … She cooked it in a 300 degree F oven. About two-thirds of the mix will fill the larger bowl. A little touch of Ireland to pass on to our children here in America. These puddings can be stored for upto 3 months without spoiling. Ellie – I’m delighted to hear your puddings turned out perfectly.

In the meantime, have fun steaming your puddings. A rich, decadent, fruity pudding traditionally served with Christmas dinner in Ireland. Mairéad. Mairead, Dear Mairead, Thank you!!

I hope it turns out delicious. Create a fold in the center of the parchment paper. Would that work? I have 2 x 1.5 litre bowls but have to do them separately as they won’t fit together and, from what I can gather from your fab website, they should be steamed for 1 hour on high then 5 on low? Required fields are marked *. Take a deep breath and inhale the wonderful aroma of Christmas pudding wafting through the air. All the best, Add water to the crockpot to cover three-quarters of the height of the pudding bowl. The longer you cook them, the darker they get. Ruth – Most traditional pudding recipes call for suet, but when I was growing up my Mom just used butter instead. Just what I needed for my first attempt. Mairéad, […] creating a gluten free version of this wonderful Christmas Pudding. I don’t have a crockpot, can I cook it in a bain marie?

This recipe makes one 1 and 1/2 quart size pudding, and one larger 2 and 1/2 quart size. I would just like to add my appreciation to your well presented recipe. Thank you for sharing. Otherwise we would suggest reheating the pudding, using the same method as above, for 5 hours (and it won't matter if it stays in the slow cooker for longer). Best wishes, Place the bowl into the crockpot, making sure the edge of the bowl is at least a 1/2 inch from the walls of the crockpot basin.

First the pudding needs to be replaced into the steaming bowl, and prepared for steaming as outlined above. Christmas pudding is served with egg custard, whipped cream or, with my favorite, brandy butter. Hope this helps. For a 1-quart size or less I would cook on high for 1 hour and an additional 4 hours on low.

This can be done in a crockpot once again. A quick disclosure note: The link below is an affiliate link and I will receive a commission if you choose to make purchases using this link. Answered on 26th November 2013, Hi Team, If I were to cook the Ultimate Christmas Pudding in a slow cooker, would I do 6-7 hours for the first steam and then the same or overnight again on Christmas eve for the second steaming?
Happy Christmas cooking. Cook the Christmas pudding at low pressure for the amount of time appropriate to its size. Mairéad. Please see my. All the best, Happy baking, The Ultimate Christmas Pudding is likely to need around 13 hours cooking on "high" setting of the slow cooker. I think it will be brilliant. Cover the entire bowl and parchment paper cover in aluminum foil. To shave off some time and ensure the moistest possible dessert, use a pressure cooker instead of the usual steaming method. Technical question! If possible preheat the slow cooker and then add the pudding and enough hot water from a just boiled kettle to come half way up the side of the pudding basin. Soooo, I needed to use two bowls. Christmas puddings are usually cooked for quite a long time as steaming is a very gentle and slow method of cooking. However if you prefer you can put a folded up tea towel in the bottom of the slow cooker and sit the basin on the tea towel. Thanks for sharing your family recipes. simple tutorial for setting your pudding ablaze, here for Irish American Mom’s Christmas Pudding Recipe and Instructions, Mixed Spice – A Traditional Festive Baking Ingredient in Ireland, Galway The Graveyard of Hopes and Dreams – Guest Post By Writer Maddison Rhoa, Halloween Activity Sheets For At Home Fun, http://glutenfreedelightfullydelicious.com/, Read More About The Irish American Mom Community.

Funding Circle Careers, It's It Ice Cream Ingredients, Overheated Candy Melts, Can I Use Vanilla Flavor Instead Of Extract, Fluffy Chocolate Chip Cookies With Cornstarch, Earwig Bite In Ear, Toy Story Toons Hawaiian Vacation, One Silver Dollar 1923, Bar S Lawton, Yard Signs Near Me, Wishy Washy Washer Woman Gonoodle Lyrics, Use Adaptable In A Sentence Example, Boulder Outdoor Survival School Gear List, What Are The Health Benefits Of Eating Pomegranate, Chandra Nalaar Deck, Rome Average Rainfall, 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 Commentary, 3 Types Of Compasses, Salem Meaning In Arabic, Canadian Gold Maple Leaf Mintage, Best Military Branch For Families, Niçoise Salad Dressing Lemon, State Member For Melbourne, Who Created Cheese, Nuxe Tanning Oil Review,