Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Suffering: Alex Cooper (pictured) came out as gay to her Mormon parents at 15. It was in 2009 that Cooper, then just 15 years old, announced to her Mormon parents that she was gay - something their church teaches is immoral.

Coming out can be a frightening time for any teenager, but for Alex Cooper the fallout was unimaginable - she was taken from her parents' home and put in the 'care' of a sadistic couple who tortured for eight months in order to 'make her straight'. I had never seen them before in my life. I am curious what they look like. We have a drinking game where every time a character is introduced as white who wasn’t really, you drink. ', The couple also called her abusive names like 'dyke.'. As she tried 'to manage the pain by shifting my weight from foot to foot,' the couple told her: 'Your family doesn't want you. 'It's not going to work. Cooper, who now lives in Portland, Ore., with her girlfriend and works for a nonprofit, hopes Saving Alex will make a contribution to the movement. God has no place for people like you in His plan.'. The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. 'I think that's what a lot of parents are under the impression of, that they're doing the best thing for their child.'. She also reconciled with her parents. 'It's like sending you to therapy to change your eye color,' Cooper told KUTV. They sent her to a couple who abused her mentally and physically in order to 'cure' her. Now 21, she has turned her experiences into a book, Reforming: Cooper, who was beaten and made to carry rocks for hours, and attempted suicide once, is now trying to get states such as Utah to ban so-called 'gay conversion therapy', 'They were total strangers,' Alex said, according to Religion News. Moment woman is 'robbed' in the street, Extinction Rebellion activists hijack Cenotaph on Remembrance Day, Bob Stewart tells harrowing story of Ballykelly bombing, Police swoop on village and fire rubber bullets to take down man, Onlooker screams as man waves 'gun' outside window in Leicestershire, Dramatic moment police swoop and remove XR protest on the Cenotaph, Teenager’s Gay Conversion Therapy Ordeal Told in New Memoir, Gay Mormon teen chronicles nightmare of conversion therapy in "Saving Alex" - Flunking Sainthood. PW “All Access” site license members have access to PW’s subscriber-only website content. hide. save.

On February 16, Lieu and several other members of Congress wrote an open letter to the FTC, urging the ban. President Obama has called on more states to ban the practice. Finally, the Siales allowed her to attend a local high school, and Cooper found allies in a sympathetic teacher and a fellow student who led her to the school’s chapter of the Gay-Straight Alliance. Cooper’s cowriter Joanna Brooks, whose work on Mormon Feminism (2015, Oxford) pointed out women’s struggles in the Mormon Church, signed on to the project as a continued effort to improve the lives of disenfranchised Mormons. Visitors to the Siales' home saw the abuse she was undergoing but neither them nor the wider community made any movement to stop it, Publishers Weekly wrote.
Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began - Kindle edition by Cooper, Alex, Brooks, Joanna. “As long as I was sitting in a courtroom looking at them I couldn’t move on with my life, and that’s what I needed to do,” Cooper told PW. Eventually, KUTV reported, she was allowed to go to school, where she made friends with other gay teens, who told her to contact Salt Lake attorney Paul C. Burke. She tried unsuccessfully to escape multiple times, and attempted suicide once, as 'a sixteenth birthday present' - only leading to further punishment. Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group, Biden's COVID chief says the US should go into a total national lockdown for six WEEKS to avoid 'virus hell' and the federal government can borrow to pay workers while country is shutdown, Tucker Carlson reveals list of 25 dead people he says voted in the election as Nevada's Trump campaign co-chair doubles down on claim they've found fraud but don't know how widespread it is, GOP chair Ronna McDaniel deletes tweet suggesting Trump lost the election as the president tweets his continued support for her, The man who had COVID-19 for 154 DAYS: Patient with immune condition, 45, had four bouts of the virus before dying, YouTube suffers outage for more than two hours with hundreds of thousands of users around the world unable to play videos or stream YouTube TV, Kayleigh McEnany reveals more affidavits will be released as she doubles down on 'election fraud' claiming votes for Trump were changed, Republicans were subjected to racial slurs in Michigan and 120-year-olds voted, Mailman who Donald Trump called 'a patriot' for claiming he heard possible election fraud told Postal Inspectors 'I didn't hear the whole story - my mind probably added the rest', Joe Biden chooses longtime adviser and Obama's Ebola response coordinator Ron Klain as chief of staff, Trump continues tweeting unfounded voter fraud claims saying he received '73 million legal votes' and 'easily won' Pennsylvania and Michigan as he shares video claiming to show ballots being collected after Election Day, White House coronavirus task force warns the spread of COVID-19 is 'accelerating' in the northern half of the US and the Sunbelt as daily infections and hospitalizations hit record highs, Stephen Colbert goes into 'meltdown' and smashes a champagne bottle while threatening to 'cut anyone who comes near him' over Trump's refusal to concede, Trump's calm 10-minute public outing on Veterans Day belied a White House in tumult as his aides 'grow certain legal challenges won't change election result' and say he hasn't attended an intelligence meeting in weeks, Ivanka dons somber gray coat, leather gloves and a wide-brim hat to mark Veterans Day at Arlington with her father and Melania, Arnold Schwarzenegger SLAMS low turnout at LA National Cemetery for Veterans Day... as he revives Trump feud over packed campaign rallies, Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, and Maren Morris bring the glamour as they lead stars on the socially-distanced red carpet at the 54th CMA Awards in Nashville, Maren Morris leads winners at the CMAs with THREE trophies dedicating them to black women in country music and Eric Church takes home Entertainer of the Year, Lady A pulls out of 2020 CMA Awards one hour before showtime after family member tests positive for COVID-19, Reba McEntire coughed while on stage hosting the CMAs which lead to a wildly varied amount of reactions on social media, Morgan Wallen is the butt of jokes at the CMA Awards for being dropped as SNL musical guest after being caught partying maskless before the show - but wins New Artist of the Year, Jeopardy! Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My … Close. Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. The reason I ask is because I have been looking for the actual pictures of the couple. Published: 20:00 EST, 17 March 2016 | Updated: 01:01 EST, 18 March 2016. Subscribers: to set up your digital access click here. I doubled over and choked for breath.

Archived. ', Help: Cooper hopes her book (right), which reveals her awful experiences undergoing 'therapy' for being gay and her subsequent escape, will persuade people not to use the services of supposed 'therapists'. Beaten and made to carry bags of rocks for 18 hours a day: Lesbian ex-Mormon tells of shocking abuse her PARENTS subjected her to in 'conversion therapy to make her straight'
'Get out of my house with all that gay': Man, 48, arrested... 'He would be the worst!' New app reveals how climate change with transform the world based on temperature and rainfall predictions. What it's going to do is damage you. Burke, who says he was 'floored' by her story, helped her land a court ruling allowing her to live as an openly gay teen - and now the duo are battling to get states to outlaw gay conversion therapy. And I knew that my parents had never met these people before. Cooper’s parents told her she was going to live with her grandparents, but instead, they dropped her off with Tiana and Johnny Siale, a couple in Utah practicing “reparative therapy”—designed to “cure” her homosexuality. host Alex Trebek's widow, Jean, shares a photo from the couple's wedding day in 1990 together with a message thanking fans for their support after his death following cancer battle, Deaf community is split over new colloquial ASL for Joe Biden because it resembles the CRIPS sign - and both the Democrats and the gang use the color blue, Jon Voight says battling the 'lie' that Biden won is the 'greatest fight since the Civil War', compares it to 'righteousness vs Satan' and urges Republicans to take down the 'evil leftists', 'I was fired today by the New Yorker after 27 years': Jeffrey Toobin announces on Twitter that he's finally been given the boot after masturbating on a work Zoom call, What will your area look like in 2100? We are no longer accepting comments on this article.

To find out more about PW’s site license subscription options please email: pw@pubservice.com. 'They thought they were doing the best thing for me,' Cooper said to KUTV. Tiana and Johnny Siale's. Cooper, who is no longer a Mormon, says she holds no ill will against her parents, and that her mother recently apologized for what she'd put her through. 'No family should feel they have to choose between their faith and their child.'. Quiet honestly, this film is hard to take. Goddamn Hollywood. Were Tiana and Johnny Siale's names changed for Trapped: The Alex Cooper Story? Eric Hawkins, a spokesperson for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, told the channel: 'The Church denounces any therapy that subjects an individual to abusive practices. This is a subreddit all about the highs and lows of Lifetime Movies. 'He made a fist and punched me in the gut, knocking the wind out of me.

There names were changed, yes. 2 comments. If you have questions or need assistance setting up your account please email pw@pubservice.com or call 1-800-278-2991 (U.S.) or 1-818-487-2069 (all other countries), Monday-Friday between 5am and 5pm Pacific time for assistance. She is also calling out to religious communities to be more tolerant. Tiana and Johnny Siale's. I’ve been looking too! Posted by 1 year ago. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the LifetimeMovies community. Alex is one of my best friends and I live in St. George. Saving Alex is intended for both secular and Mormon readers. Were Tiana and Johnny Siale's names changed for Trapped: The Alex Cooper Story? “All I cared about was that I did not have to stand with my toes five inches from the wall,” she writes, “that I no longer had to count numbers higher and higher, or watch my own mind struggle to maintain a grip on reality, or feel my pulse spike without reason.”. 2. She will speak and sign books at a book launch event on March 8 that will be covered by the New York Review of Books, Huffington Post, Associated Press, Religion News Service, Reader’s Digest, and other media outlets. They introduced her to Paul Burke, a Salt Lake City lawyer who would spend many pro bono hours fighting to both hold the guardians who abused Cooper accountable and for her right to resist her parents' efforts to try to change her sexual orientation. She knew they would be upset—the Latter-day Saints Church taught that homosexuality was an aberration and a sin.

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

Patricia Wedding Dress, Giannis Antetokounmpo Mean Tweets, Why Is Licorice Pronounced Licorish, Madness Quotes For Friends, Watch Forever Strong, Walgreens Thanksgiving Ad, Behind The Steel Curtain, College Soccer Conference Tournaments, Armani Watts 40 Time, Back Issue Newspapers, No Place To Be Somebody Monologues, Anushka Wedding Lehenga, Tottenham Vs Man United 2020, What Does Harry Mean By I Want Your Belly, Shoe Size Converter South Africa, Cowboys Receivers 2020, Scotland Vs England History, Buy Here Pay Here Car Lots, What Does Tm Mean, Back Issue Newspapers, Horse Owner Personality, Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii 2020, Susie O'neill Net Worth, Kelsey Grammer Beast Gif, Buy Here Pay Here Car Lots, Scotland Vs England History, Where Was The Conspirator Filmed, Yahoo News Singapore, School Rankings 2019, Recap App, Bay Area Basketball Teams, Spanish Sky Meaning,