King Saul started to grow envious of David’s glory and kept a watchful and jealous eye on David.12. And David fled and escaped that night. You too have a divine destiny to be a great man or woman of God, and he yearns for you to fulfill it. All rights reserved. Pride and presumption fueled by lack of trust in God! David sings "For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. He requires broken and contrite heart. Therefore be on your guard in the morning. Why then will you sin against (F)innocent blood by killing David without cause?” 6 And Saul listened to the voice of Jonathan. If God intended making him king, God would have to do it in his way and his time—no help from David. Saul approved of David at first but eventually became jealous of him. What was the BIG difference between them that made all the difference in the world? Therefore be on your guard in the morning. That’s why God spoke to one of his descendants and said, “yet you have not been like My servant David, who kept My commandments and who followed Me with all his heart, to do only that which was right in My sight” (1 Kings 14:8). Saul or David: whose character do you choose? Two of the most prominent Kings of Israel in the Scripture are Saul and David. 11:25; Joel 2:28]. 3 And I will go out and stand beside my father in the field where you are, and I will speak to my father about you. If any of those ring a bell, don’t despair. Saul was rejected by God while David was a man after God's own heart. You are. He will forgive our sin and clothe us in the righteousness of Christ. Both operated prophetically. He points the finger at everyone else rather than pointing it at himself. And Jonathan brought David to Saul, and he was in his presence (H)as before. It’s not that he never sinned in his life, but his heart was always firmly fixed on trusting God-not his circumstances. Stay in a secret place and hide yourself. Again, Saul thought he had a better plan. 2:15; Acts 9:24, 25]; 2 Cor. His eyes were on the people as his source—not God. David was not sinless, but it appears God approved his upright character in spite of it. And he and Samuel went and lived at Naioth. 14 And when Saul sent messengers to take David, she said, “He is sick.” 15 Then Saul sent the messengers to see David, saying, “Bring him up to me in the bed, that I may kill him.” 16 And when the messengers came in, behold, (O)the image was in the bed, with the pillow of goats' hair at its head. Their lives serve as mirrors for our own lives. For instance, they were both quite attractive. Saul was “a choice and handsome man, and there was not a more handsome person than he among the sons of Israel” (1 Samuel 9:2). David’s anointing was in the presence of his father and brothers. Saul didn’t know that David had been picked to be the next king, so, whenever Saul was in a bad mood, David would play music for him and make him feel better. If we are not broken over our sin, then what need do we have of a savior? There were plenty of occasions to take matters into his own hands. John 8:29). They were not easy. When the king saw that God had turned from him but was with David, Saul feared David as well. They were both kings over Israel while Samuel was prophet, but there’s much more than that. He lays himself bare before the Lord asking for forgiveness and restoration. Saul's son and heir Jonathan befriends David and recognizes him as the rightful king. Compromise? After all, he was late so Saul had to pinch-hit. Directed by J. Stuart Blackton. The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. (2 Sam 12:13) David took ownership of his sin rather than making excuses. The second incident revealed more poor character. Just as the prophet Samuel confronted Saul in his sin, the prophet Nathan would confront David. Saul’s character was mostly like a leaf on a tree branch, twisting whichever way the wind blew. One was a man after God's own heart, the other a failed and tragic king. $3.99 a month puts a library of commentaries, study notes, and Greek & Hebrew language tools right in your pocket. What else? What God desires from us is true brokeness. We must own our filthy rags that cloth us. Not self-justification and not even penance. “Behold, this day your eyes have seen that the Lord had given you today into my hand in the cave, and some said to kill you, but my eye had pity on you; and I said, ‘I will not stretch out my hand against my lord, for he is the Lord’s anointed'” (1 Samuel 24:10). What was David’s response? It is when we are broken that God will heal. Psalm 18:33, Copyright 2020 Hannah's Cupboard. Both men had duties with their father’s herds: Saul was sent to find his father’s lost donkeys and David was shepherd over his father’s sheep flocks. Many years transpired between the time David was anointed to be king, and when he actually ascended the throne. In Matthew 5:3 Jesus kicks off the sermon on the Mount with the beatitudes. In any event, the killing of Goliath proved that David was a truly obedient servant of God who was concerned with the interests of his Heavenly Father and his Father’s people (cf. Do not attempt to justify your sinful actions. Rather than owning up to his sin, Saul tries to justify his actions. Wasn’t this really Samuel’s fault, he reasoned? However David describes in detail the thoughts and emotions he was experiencing during this time in a beautiful song, Psalm 51. David too would commit some horrific sins, but his response is very different from Saul. 19 And it was told Saul, “Behold, David is at Naioth in Ramah.” 20 Then Saul sent messengers to take David, and when they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, and Samuel standing as head over them, (R)the Spirit of God came upon the messengers of Saul, (S)and they also prophesied. When the prophet calls David out for his adultery and conspiracy of murder, David immediately responds "I have sinned against the Lord". Where there is no sorrow over sin there is no genuine repentance. However, if you've studied their lives carefully both of the men had some incredible failures in their life. 2 And Jonathan told David, “Saul my father seeks to kill you. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. David joins the Philistines but continues secretly to champion his own people, until Saul and Jonathan are killed in battle at Mount Gilboa. This led to a war between the two men. Saul started off so well and had such a promising future. In each case the Lord revealed his choice through Samuel who anointed them both. 21 When it was told Saul, he sent other messengers, (T)and they also prophesied. There are different stories about Saul and David's early relationship. Required fields are marked *, He makes my feet like hinds' feet, And sets me upon my high places. (1 Sam 15:15) He makes excuses for his disobedience. ESV Pastor's Bible (TruTone, Brown) Imitation Leather, ESV Student Study Bible, TruTone, Sky Blue with Ivy Design, ESV Study Bible, Personal Size (TruTone Imitation Leather, Brown with Mosaic Cross Design), ESV Vest Pocket New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs (Cloth over Board, Polka Dots), ESV My Creative Bible for Girls, Hardcover, Purple Glitter, ESV Study Bible, Black Genuine Leather with Thumb Index. 10 (K)And Saul sought to pin David to the wall with the spear, but he eluded Saul, so that he struck the spear into the wall. will find that God is more than gracious to blot out our transgression. A poem near the start of the book reveals the book's key themes: God’s opposition to the proud, exultation of the humble, faithfulness in spite of evil, and the promise of a messianic king. Saul failed to obey the Lord in his commands and David committed adultery with Bathsheba. (P)Why should I kill you?’”, 18 Now David fled and escaped, and he came to Samuel at (Q)Ramah and told him all that Saul had done to him. Saul and David are lasting types of human character. 20 above]; [Num. Stay in a secret place and hide yourself. As you look at the sin in your life are you responding like Saul or David? Their choices under pressure revealed their raw character. Saul and David are more than interesting historical figures. The bitter tears of brokeness are quickly covered by the sweet blood of Jesus. (Ps 51:16-17). Brokeness is the only proper response to our sin. Those who enter into the kingdom of heaven are the Davids, not the Sauls. Saul failed to obey the Lord in his commands and David committed adultery with Bathsheba. Those who cry out "Woe is Me!" Saul, son of Kish from the tribe of Benjamin, and David, son of Jesse from the tribe of Judah had a lot in common. Maybe we can get some clues by examining the motive behind Saul’s disobedience. Yet due to his sin and refusal to repent the Lord would leave Saul and reject him as King. Both Saul and David were great sinners. David writes calling out to God for mercy. Those who have not recognized their spiritual poverty and their need for grace will not inherit the Kingdom. And David went out and fought with the Philistines and struck them with a great blow, so that they fled before him. His anointing was cause for great celebration. Samuel told him, If not, we fall in line with Saul’s character right off the bat. If both men had grievous sin in their lives, why was one rejected and the other blessed? In our sin, we must most own up to our spiritual poverty. “Now he was ruddy, with beautiful eyes and a handsome appearance” (1 Samuel 16:12). Samuel decreed that Saul no longer had God's favor and anointed David as the next king. Saul was compelled to place young David at the head of his army (I Samuel 18:5). The Lord was very explicit about what he wanted done. But Jonathan, Saul's son, delighted much in David. Confess your spiritual poverty. The first beatitude rings a powerful truth "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven". 11 (L)Saul sent messengers to David's house to watch him, that he might kill him in the morning. Character. Both were handpicked by God to be king. With Maurice Costello, William V. Ranous, Florence Lawrence. What difference made all the difference? A Tale of Two Kings: The Difference Between Saul and David. The book of 1 Samuel focuses on three characters: Samuel, Saul, and David. King Saul vs. David. King Saul started plotting to kill David, forcing David to flee for his life.. One day, Saul took 3,000 men to the desert of Ziph to look for David. What is the difference between these two men? Though Saul and David were both small insignificant men starting out in life they both had a divine destiny to be great men of God. For instance, they were both quite attractive. Saul was rejected by God while David was a man after God's own heart. Goodness! When Saul disobeyed the Lord's direct command, the prophet Samuel goes to confront Saul in his sin. 8 And there was war again. You saw it, and rejoiced. In this case, David’s stepping forward to fight Goliath was the first time Saul had met David. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. David and Saul are foils of one another. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise". We must confess our unworthiness and fall on our face. He was the first King of Israel. However, if you've studied their lives carefully both of the men had some incredible failures in their life. David fixed his heart on God alone so that every choice in life was passed only through that filter. And Saul sent messengers again the third time, (U)and they also prophesied.

Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed, 1326 Forster Drive Madison, Wi, Knee To Elbow Oblique Crunch, Bronx Science College Matriculation, Bracelet Sizes In Mm, French Symbols And Meanings, The Falcon And The Snowman Wiki, Pleasant Creek Rv Resort, Toyo Open Country M/t, Muhammad Shabazz Basketball, Johnson Files Bachelor, Why Are You Here Tab, Rossonero Pizza Phone Number, Role Of Sales Promotion In Rural Marketing, Ranajit Guha Articles, Dumbbell Exercises Pdf, Phonepe Owner, Condos For Sale In Hartford, Wi, Moving From Melbourne To Brisbane During Covid-19, Ethical Brand Checker, Manhattan College Tuition,