Why don’t you cook dishes with deep fried tofu? Don’t worry! Thank you for visiting my blog. Today’s article is about the recipe of Kitsune Udon. Both Kitsune Udon and Kitsune Soba are popular noodle dishes in Japan.

The best Udon Noodles are the Frozen Udon Noodles that you can find at Asian grocery stores. All Rights Reserved. We’ve learned the origin of the name of today’s dish. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window), Salmon and Ikra Rice Bowl (Sake Ikura Don), Kitsune Udon and Tanuki Udona | Food in Japan, Another Japanese Fried Chicken (Tori no Tatsuta Age), Salmon Roe with Soy Sauce (Ikura Shoyu-Zuke), Chicken Tenderloin with Mustard Soy Sauce (Sasami no Karashiae). If I have a chance, I would like to make them and introduce the recipe here. Kitsune Udon is a hearty udon noodle soup, topped with the flavored deep-fried tofu and rich dashi soup stock. What interesting point is “Kitsune” and “Tanuki”. The Meaning of Kitsune One primary reason why Kitsune Udon and Kitsune Soba include the word meaning fox in Japanese “Kitsune (きつね)” in the name is that it is believed in Japan that the fox likes to eat Aburaage. Place in a saucepan, add Dashi Stock, Sugar, Soy Sauce and Mirin, and bring to the boil over medium heat. I didn’t know why it is called like that, so I looked it up on the internet. Add simmered Abraage and some chopped Green Onion on the top.

5) Place Udon in a bowl and pour the soup. Simmer for a few minutes, then set aside to allow soak up the sauce. 6. Soumen is a popular Japanese noodles, too. Add sugar to 3. and simmer again until the onion becomes soft. I am familiar with it because I grew up in Kansai area. I was surprised because many people have accessed and more “like” than other articles so far. On the other hand, Tanuki Udon is udon with tempura crumb. Plus, kitsune-iro is also a brown, amber color that you look for when cooking things, I guess "it should be as brown as a fox"? On the other hand, Tanuki Udon is udon with tempura crumb. But Udon shops are rare in Kanto. Perhaps many readers wander why they are named as so? We enjoy them with various toppings. Put 5. on the udon. *Note: ‘Usukuchi’ lighter colour Soy Sauce, that is saltier, is ideal. The feature of Kitsune Udon is simmered Aburaage which tastes a little sweet. On the half way, taste it and add some sea salt if needed.

We’ve learned the origin of the name of today’s dish. ‘Kitsune Udon’ can be literally translated as ‘Fox Udon’ but it has nothing to do with the foxes.

So I thought I would introduce the recipe, too. Kitsune Udon (きつねうどん) is a delicious meatless Japanese noodle soup that's topped with a thick slice of seasoned fried tofu. Then press it to remove excess oil if required. (I’ll focus on the recipe of the topping). Udon and Soba are most popular Japanese noodles since old time. It has been arranged to Japanese style as same as […], […] of sugar and salty of miso. This hearty udon soup is one of the most popular, classic Japanese noodle dishes.

[…] are “Kitsune Udon” and “Tanuki Udon”. Let’s take a look at the recipe. 3. I usually sprinkle some Shichimi spice (a Japanese spice) when eating. So it is called as Kitusne Udon. Abura-age is fried think sliced tofu, and it is simmered with soy sauce and sugar etc. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. The origin of Kitsune Udon is not very clear, but they say that it was invented sometime in the 19th century at a restaurant in Osaka. My recipes are all very easy home cooking style. Instant Noodles. If there is an opportunity, I would like to introduce these different type of Soy Sauce in the future. This is one of interesting point. Food in Japan © 2013 - 2014. ’Kitsune’ means ‘Fox’ in Japanese. Original meaning of Kitsune is fox.

1) Cut Abraage in half. Perhaps many readers wander why they are named as so? On the other hand, we can find many Udon shops in Kansai area. If you have a chance to go to such shops, please try it. The combination of the thick chewy udon noodles, clear dashi broth and savory sweet inari-agé is a match made in heaven, which is probably why Kitsune Udon is one of the most popular bowls of udon in Japan. Bring a pot full of water to a boil,then quickly slip in the udon,while stir-ring robustly with large chopsticks.When it starts to boil over,take one udon and bite it to check the doneness.Drain the boiling water. We have other noodles such as […], […] I guess the reason why we like it is because it is a noodle. Good question There are two main theories regarding the Japanese name for this udon noodle soup: “Kitsune … Slice the onion, and cut a sheet of deep fried tofu into five or so. Kitsune Udon (きつねうどん) is a delicious meatless Japanese noodle soup that's topped with a thick slice of seasoned fried tofu. It depends on region which noodles are […], […] name of a cereal. All Rights Reserved. As a food, ‘Kitsune’ is ‘Abura-age’ (Fried Thin Tofu) that is seasoned and added to noodle dishes as a topping. Deep fried tofu-a sheet. Today, I would like to introduce foods which may have most interesting name. The […], […] without Mentsuyu. 2 ‘Abura-age’ (Fried Thin Tofu)1/2 cup Dashi Stock *OR Water 1/2 cup & 1/4 teaspoon Dashi Powder1 tablespoon Sugar1 tablespoon Soy Sauce1 tablespoon Mirin2 servings Udon Noodles1 Spring Onion *finely choppedShichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix), Soup2 cups Dashi Stock *OR 2 cups Water & 1 heaped teaspoon Dashi Powder2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)1/2 teaspoon Salt1 tablespoon Soy Sauce *’Usukuchi’ lighter colour soy sauce is ideal1/2 tablespoon Mirin, Simmered Daikon & Abura-age (Fried Thin Tofu). If you want to know why it’s called so, please refer previous article. The Frozen Udon Noodles are already cooked, so just warm them in the boiling water. Especially, Kitsune Udon is one of the most commonly eaten Udon dishes thanks to … Kitsune Udon is one of popular and basic Udon menu. In fact, we often use “Kitsune Iro” (fox color) to describe a brown color in cooking. Onion 1/2.

Sometimes called as “Usuage”), 2 tea spoon Mirin (Sweet rice wine : 10ml). DO NOT add salt into the water. Kitsune Udon is a Japanese noodle soup in dashi broth, topped with seasoned fried tofu, pink-swirl narutomaki fish cake, and scallions. The land of Japan is small. ( Log Out /  Place drained hot Udon Noodles in a serving bowl, pour the hot soup, place Abura-age on top, add some finely chopped Spring Onion. Welcome to 'Hiroko's Recipes' website. Your email address will not be published. One theory says aburaage (deep-fried tofu pouch) often appears as a fox’s favorite food in Japanese folktales, so people started to call the udon noodle soup topped with tofu pouch as “kitsune udon.”. Perhaps many readers wander why they are named as so? ( Log Out /  ( Log Out /  These are reasons why the udon with deep fried tofu is called kitsune udon. I’m living in Tokyo (in Kanto area) and can find many Soba shops here. These dishes are what I cook for my family, using locally available ingredients in Melbourne where I live... Wrap Abura-age with paper towel and heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Another theory is that people call aburaage by “kitsune… These dishes are what I cook for my family, using locally available ingredients in Melbourne where I live... Wrap Abura-age with paper towel and heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Then drain off the moisture. I’ve written an article about Kitsune Udon before. “Kitsune” means “Fox” in Japanese, and “Tanuki” means “Raccoon dog”.

The Greatest Show On Earth Awards, Why Are You Here Tab, Neurological Symptom Checker, Marquez Callaway Combine Results, Why Is Licorice Pronounced Licorish, Forgotten 80s Movies, Marquez Callaway Combine Results, Paperwork For Buying A Used Car From Private Seller, Cowboys Receivers 2020, Acer Aspire R5-471t Charger, Back Issue Newspapers, Giannis Antetokounmpo Mean Tweets, Daniel Theis Tiger Tattoo, Carmelo Anthony Takeover, Ryan Kelly Fedex Linkedin, Black Friday Vinyl Deals, Tottenham Vs Man United 2020, Spanish Sky Meaning, Alia Bhatt Bridal Look, Andrew Watt Covid, Stefanie Van Der Gragt Partner, Back Issue Newspapers, Cowboys Receivers 2020, Michael Morell Bio, Giacomo Gianniotti Instagram, Writers And Lovers Lily King Pdf, Andrew Watt Covid, Study Medicine In Usa With Scholarship, Where Was The Conspirator Filmed, Abram Khan Age, Recap App, Paperwork For Buying A Used Car From Private Seller, Black Friday Vinyl Deals, What Does Tm Mean, Giacomo Gianniotti Instagram,